Why I'm inspired to be a #GirlDay #RoleModel : Introduce a Girl to Engineering


What inspired you to become a Girl Day Role Model?


I was inspired to become a Girl Day Role Model after being introduced to Discover E’s Engineers Week a few years ago on social media. 

I was thrilled to learn that there was even such a thing as Engineer’s Week because I love Engineering.  And I almost missed out on the chance to study Engineering Technology because I just didn’t know about it.

And I should have because my father is an Engineer.  I knew that growing up but I didn’t think much about it.

During middle school and especially High School, I thought I wanted to be a Fashion Designer because I learned to sew & I love Vogue and clothes and makeup.

I thought it was sewing that I liked, but I later found out it was the process of knowing how an article of clothing comes to existence.

So the decision to study Engineering Technology came during college registration when I was signing up for college classes and my parents were with me in the Gym, and the Registrar asked me what classes I wanted to take, what did I want to major in?  And I really didn’t know so my dad said, Samantha, you can try Engineering, they always need female Engineers.

So I gave it a go, I signed up to major in Electrical Engineering Technology at South Carolina State University and I never looked back.

I gave Engineering a Go (because someone I know and trust made a suggestion)

And I’m inspired to be a Girl Day Role Model so I can make a suggestion.  A suggestion to all young people and especially girls so we can have more of a mix of diversity in Engineering.  A suggestion to a young person that has no idea what that nagging in their head is.  To suggest their Gift and Purpose and Skill may be invisible.  To suggest their path, their Career --  is the Process of Thought.  To suggest Engineering, and to bring forth the potential for more solutions, more cures, more products, services, technology, space travel, agriculture, manufacturing, everything resource driven that improves quality of life.

It is now my turn to make a SUGGESTION.

How does your own story impact your outreach?


My own story impacts my outreach that’s for sure.  My own story says that an Engineering candidate may not know Engineering is their gift.  And this is true for girls too.

I know they may be expressing themselves in ways that materialize as cooking, sewing, athletics, anything really.  Some of these ways are UNCONVENTIONAL.

My outreach efforts show Engineering in ways that are in fact ‘unconventional’.  When I was a middle school student, it would have benefitted me to know that my interests in sewing, cooking, shop, and athletics are tied to my Engineering abilities.  Maybe by pointing out there was a reason why my success in Gymnastics increased when my understanding of the mechanics of gymnastics increased.

I can say with confidence that when someone says Cosmetics or Soda the first thing they do not think of is ENGINEERING.  But Cosmetic Chemistry, Manufacturing Engineering, and Industrial Engineering are all tied to Makeup and Beverages.

I use these unconventional expressions of Engineering to reach what young people like and find interesting.  And I also like them and find them interesting. It’s no secret that beauty and fashion and makeup and selfies and snapchat are even more popular these days as social media abounds.

So working in the Cosmetics Manufacturing field gives me the perfect opportunity to be relevant to what young people and main stream society are drawn to.

We do things in our Beauty Lab like label all our materials with formal scientific names and chemical formulas.  We also have process posters that list scientific vocabulary and facts about color theory and -- nutrition data about plant material.  We do this so that when guests come to our Lab, they see makeup that is popular and information that is familiar, most of the time, people say “I just studied about antioxidants or minerals in one of my STEM classes.’  This allows them to see the technical math & science world as a part of popular culture.  This makes my ‘choose Engineering’ suggestion easier and more exciting.

I also go to our local school and volunteer in their STEM initiatives.  Because I used to work for Pepsi Cola in Manufacturing Operations, I used to go to classrooms and I called myself Mrs. Sodamaker.  We would make a mock soda and talk about Carbon Dioxide, Water and the Water Cycle, Fructose & Agriculture and more.  Students loved seeing how soda was made.  It’s an unconventional approach to introducing Engineering.

My own story impacts my outreach in ways that are unconventional.  We have a LIP GLOSS LAB to introduce Girls to Engineering.  I think that is unconventional.  And that would have peaked my interest as a Middle and High School student.

I hope to do the same for others.

Makeup Photo Shoot with Angie Webb Photography

Makeup Photo Shoot with Angie Webb Photography We had the honor of being photographed by Angie Webb; the results are stunning! When planning...